At today’s VMworld® 2017 Europe keynote in Barcelona, CEO Pat Gelsinger introduced VMware HCX technologies while on stage with IBM. Here, we share our excitement about the announcement, and provide an overview of the offering.
It is becoming increasingly clear that we’re headed towards a multi-cloud world where enterprises can take advantage of the best of private and public clouds, as they go through a digital transformation. Service Providers and Enterprise IT are actively looking at modernizing their data centers, adopting the cloud, and enabling modern application architectures, yet maintaining business continuity, with unified compliance, governance and control. But getting to this desired state is easier said than done.
There are formidable challenges that need to be overcome to get to the desired state. These include:
Introducing VMware HCX technologies – Overcoming the challenges
VMware HCX’s technologies have been created to specifically overcome the above challenges, and to enable service providers and enterprise to get to the desired state quickly. Delivered as a VMware Cloud™ Service, and available through key partners IBM and OVH, the service enables secure, seamless interoperability and hybridity between any VMware vSphere®-based clouds, enabling large-scale migration to modern clouds/datacenters, and application mobility, with no application downtime. Built-in DR & security enables unified compliance, governance and control. Automated deployment makes it straightforward for service providers and enterprises to rapidly get to the desired state and shorten time to value.
VMware HCX technologies – Service Model
The following picture depicts key elements of the HCX service model.
Numbers below refer to the respective numbers in the diagram above.
1. Existing vSphere-based environment – Any existing vSphere environment (version 5 and up), whether this be an enterprise on-premises environment, or a managed service provider environment, can leverage the HCX service to migrate to the desired cloud or modern data center.
2. Modern DC / Cloud – Today, we have IBM and OVH realizing modern cloud architectures, built leveraging VMware Cloud Foundation. HCX services can now be leveraged to enable infrastructure hybridity between on-premises and cloud, and to migrate and mobilize existing applications to the cloud.
3. VMware HCX technologies – Today, we announce Initial Availability of VMware HCX technologies, available to our key partners IBM and OVH. The service will be integrated into the respective Cloud Provider portals, and provides the following features:
4. Infrastructure Hybridity – HCX creates a secure, high performance and highly reliable interconnect fabric between disparate vSphere environments, enabling loose coupling of multiple sites. Following are some of the key features:
5. Application migration and mobility at scale without downtime – HCX provides the following application mobility capabilities to customers:
Summary – VMware HCX technologies is ready to accelerate your cloud / application strategy
Much like server virtualization, vMotion, and VMware NSX® technologies changed the physics of infrastructure, HCX promises to be a true game changer accelerating the adoption of modern data center architectures, and enabling application landscape mobility at an unprecedented scale. Service Providers and enterprises can now re-think the way they deploy, consolidate and migrate their data centers and adopt cloud architectures. Also, application architectures can evolve to flexibly span on-premises and multiple clouds, driven by the needs and priorities of business.
Looking forward to working with you as you embark on this hybrid cloud journey!
For more information visit cloud.vmware.com/vmware-hcx