This post was co-authored by Sr. Technical Marketing Manager, Chris McClanahan.
Are you looking to cut costs, increase productivity and accelerate time to value? Log Intelligence will help you achieve real-time visibility into infrastructure and application logs across private clouds and AWS – including VMware Cloud on AWS.
Here’s how you use it:
- Find specific log information by typing in the search bar
- The search bar will auto populate as you are typing and provide the current number of log entries for associated objects
- Keep an eye on any alerts that have occurred in the last hour or day in your environment through the Recent Alerts widget
- Jump to the full Alerts page at any time by clicking the ‘More Alerts’ link
- See data on interesting events that have seen dramatic increases or decreases in occurrence
- This screen populates with queries that have seen spikes in the number of occurrences. You can click on any of the charts to go directly to the Log Explorer screen
Explore Log Screen
- Search for text in logs by entering information in the search bar
- Add filters to your search criteria as you go
- Change the time frame of the query results from the last one minute up to the last 48 hours
- Your query results will appear in a stream of detailed log data
- An interactive chart populates based on your query results. Click on a specific time to zoom in
- Find a more detailed breakdown of the log by clicking on the drop down chevron
- Pin your query to the Pinboard for easy access and to compare against other queries you may have pinned
- Create an alert definition for the specific query
- Finally, name and save your query for use at a later date
- The Fields area breaks down the indexed and content sections of the collection of logs as a result of the query. These fields are interactive and allow you to drill down to specific logs based on things like hostname for example
Alerts: Recent Alerts Screen
- The number of alerts that have occurred within the selected period are graphed (i.e. the last hour, day, or week)
- The list displays the latest alerts in order. Find more information on the alert by clicking the navigation chevron
- The Query link will send you to the Log Explorer page with the query auto populated
- The Definitions page gives you information on how the alert was defined
- The Details page gives you information specific to the alert including the specific log message that triggered the alert
Alerts: Alert Definition Screen
The Alerts Definitions page lists all available alerts, including out-of-the-box and custom define alerts. Display more information about the alert and provide access to edit the alert definitions by expanding the navigation chevron.
Manage Email Configuration Screen
Connect your Log Intelligence to your company email server for email alerts through the The Email Configuration screen. By default, Log Intelligence uses a hosted SMTP server if you do not have one to provide.
Manage: WebHook Configuration Screen
- Enter your destination service url, the action (Post or Put), and the format for the content being sent (XML or JSON)
- Log Intelligence supplies certain parameters to easily send dynamic information as a part of the webhook payload
- Send information from Log Intelligence to other services through Webhooks
Manage: Data Collectors Screen
The Data Collectors page lists the status of all the data collectors you currently have deployed to push log data to Log Intelligence. Add additional data collectors by clicking the ADD NEW link.
Find out more about Log Intelligence for VMware Cloud on AWS.