As we complete our one-year anniversary for VMware Cloud on AWS, we have also crossed the century mark for the number of Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) solutions validated on VMware Cloud on AWS. As of September 15, we now have 120+ solutions validated or certified on VMware Cloud on AWS. When we talk about these solutions to our customers, they have some questions in mind and I would like to address those here.
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about these validated solutions:
1. Are only around 100+ solutions work on VMware Cloud on AWS today?
Not at all. Our empirical evidence shows over 90% of partner solutions work on VMware Cloud on AWS without requiring a change.
2. You say that I can vMotion an application from vSphere to VMware Cloud on AWS. Why haven’t more solutions been validated at this stage?
The 120+ validated solutions represent the set of partners that have self-initiated validation on the VMware Cloud on AWS service to provide additional assurance to their customers. However, the vast majority of solutions supported on vSphere also work in VMware Cloud on AWS environments. The few that don’t work have specific dependencies to specific vSphere capabilities that are not supported on VMware Cloud on AWS.
- You cannot modify the ESX configurations as these are managed by VMware as part of its Infrastructure as a Service;
- You can’t build your own networks using the Distribution Virtual Switch.
- You can’t install custom kernel modules
3. What are the advantages for customers if they use VMware Cloud on AWS validated solutions?
With VMware cloud on AWS validated solutions you can confidently extend your on-premises solution capabilities to the cloud, with consistent user experience and functionality.You can also seamlessly integrate validated solutions with VMware Cloud on AWS to accelerate your journey to a hybrid cloud solution.
4. Why do some solutions not work on VMware Cloud on AWS out of the box?
Some solutions use APIs that are incompatible with VMware Cloud on AWS. Some actions, such as trying to store Virtual Machines in the root folder rather than the workload folder, often cause compatibility issues.
While some issues are easy to identify and resolve, others are more challenging. For example some solutions want to create their own networks or modify datastore access, which requires implementation changes for VMware Cloud on AWS compatibility. If a TAP partner encounters issues, we work with them to find a solution to the problem.
5. How do I know if a solution is validated on VMware Cloud on AWS?
The best way to find out is to refer to the VMware Solution Exchange or the VMware Cloud on AWS Roadmap and check for the solution that you interested in. If the solution is not listed, please , contact the partner to enlist their support. You can also send a quick note to firstname.lastname@example.org about the solution (please provide company, solution name, and contact), and our TAP team will reach out to the partner for you
6. What is the validation process?
Third-party solution providers test their application on VMware Cloud on AWS, making any required changes, before declaring support for their solution. The validation process can take as little as a few days, but some solutions may take longer. The TAP team provides access to VMware Cloud on AWS instances for partner testing under the TAP program.
7. Why are some solutions listed as certified?
We’ve deemed some solutions must pass a more stringent testing process including joint cooperation between the solution provider and VMware, this is referred to as certification. For example, backup solutions must go through a certification process. Certification includes regression testing of a solution with every quarterly release, to ensure continued operation.
8. Can a customer simply install the same binary they have installed on-premises, on VMware Cloud on AWS?
Please check with your vendor to ensure compatibility with VMware Cloud on AWS. Solutions may have an updated version for VMware Cloud on AWS.
9. Is it VMware’s responsibility to fix a third-party solution that is not working on VMware Cloud on AWS?
The VMware Cloud on AWS’ Service Level Agreement only covers the VMware Cloud on AWS infrastructure and VMware’s own solution add-ons. While we will make every effort to keep you running, the third-party solution provider is responsible to provide support.
10. What should I do to request that a certain solution be validated before using VMware Cloud on AWS?
Please notify your solution provider that you require a VMware Cloud on AWS solution. In addition, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the product and we will initiate the validation process with the partner.
Visit our website to learn more about VMware Cloud on AWS.
Follow us on Twitter @vmwarecloudaws