Discover how VMware SD-WAN improves network connectivity to workloads on VMware Cloud on AWS for users in remote locations. Featuring strategically located gateways to cloud, enhanced security, and simplified WAN operations, VMware SD-WAN extends your cloud investment.
Wide Area Network (WAN) connectivity plays an important role in making the hybrid cloud model successful: the end user experience for cloud-delivered applications is only as good as the network transporting them. The most popular medium of choice for remote offices, the broadband Internet, offers accessibility, agility and cost effectiveness; at the same time, it introduces more events of packet loss, jitter and latency than traditional fixed WAN architecture. This can negatively impact application delivery and hence, the user experience. Here is where VMware SD-WAN by VeloCloud comes into the picture. To start with, VMware SD-WAN is a cloud-delivered, transport-agnostic architecture supporting and optimizing any WAN link or combination of links. VMware SD-WAN includes a distributed network of VMware SD-WAN Cloud Gateways, a cloud-based VMware SD-WAN Orchestrator and a branch platform, the VMware SD-WAN Edge. Let us see how it enhances the value of VMware Cloud on AWS for our customers.
VMware SD-WAN support for VMware Cloud on AWS
VMware Cloud on AWS delivers a seamlessly integrated hybrid cloud solution that extends on-premises vSphere environments to a VMware Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) elastic, bare-metal infrastructure that is fully integrated as part of AWS. It serves a broad range of customer use-cases including cloud migration, data center extension, DR and next-generation application modernization. With VMware SD-WAN support for VMware Cloud on AWS, users at branches or remote locations can have a better network connectivity to workloads deployed on VMware Cloud on AWS. This unlocks several key benefits for users:
- Optimal Performance: VMware SD-WAN with its DMPO (Dynamic MultiPath Optimization) offers continuous monitoring, dynamic packet steering in case of multiple links and on-demand remediation, even on a single link, delivering the best possible application performance and end-user experience. Furthermore, the solution also enables policy-based categorization, identification, and prioritization of applications based on business intent.
- Gateway to Cloud: Unique to the VMware SD-WAN architecture is the strategically distributed and highly available network of cloud gateways. These cloud gateways act as the closest connection points to the AWS Availability Zones where VMware Cloud on AWS has been deployed. The integration, besides optimizing the quality of the route between user sites and the gateways, manages a secure IPSec link between the gateways and VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Simplified WAN Operations: The cloud-provisioned SD-WAN edge—with a zero-touch deployment workflow and auto detect capability for links and bandwidth—brings remote sites online in minutes. The SD-WAN Orchestrator offers a single pane of glass for defining business policies, configuring thousands of edges with a single click, and providing real-time insights into applications and network performance.
- Integrated Security: Performance and security go hand-in-hand with VMware SD-WAN. Customers can choose VMware SD-WAN’s built-in stateful firewall or leverage integrations with 3rd party best in class security partners to secure the payload.
VMware SD-WAN is supported with VMware Cloud on AWS starting from VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC version 1.10v2. For more information, please read this Solution Overview.
For other information related to VMware Cloud on AWS, here are some more learning resources for you:
- You can learn more about our VMware Cloud on AWS service at the VMware Cloud on AWS website or by viewing VMware Cloud on AWS: Overview.
- Learn about features and capabilities of VMware Cloud on AWS in this Evaluation Guide.
- Follow us on Twitter @vmwarecloudaws and give us a shout with #VMWonAWS.
- Watch informative demos, overview videos, webinars and hear from our customers: VMware Cloud on AWS on YouTube.
- Try the VMware Cloud on AWS Hands-on Lab for a first-hand immersive experience
- Read our latest VMware Cloud on AWS blogs.
- Obtain the VMware Cloud on AWS Solution Brief and VMware Cloud on AWS TCO 1-pager.
- Follow the VMware Cloud on AWS release notes on continuing updates
- Read Technical Guides on Operations, Applications, and Performance.
- Explore Feature Walkthroughs of Deployment, Configuration, Networking, and more.