Latest Articles

April 10, 2017

Containers are Leaky Abstractions (and other truths I hide from my kids)

I recently sat on a panel at the ContainerWorld 2017 conference, discussing the maturity model of containers — and where we were (as an ecosystem) on the spectrum from stable technology, to monitoring, to basic management, to being part of the “invisible background” of technology infrastructure like TCP/IP stacks. All…

Read more

April 3, 2017

AWS Lambda Serverless, Automatic Rollbacks, and Wavefront Monitoring

Automatic rollbacks are a way to quickly revert back to a previous version of your application to limit the impact to your end users. Typically, the application developer specifies what the conditions are to a monitoring system, and if those conditions are met, the application is reverted to a previous…

Read more

March 16, 2017

Metrics vs. Logs Dilemma: Selecting the Right Platform for Monitoring Your Cloud Services (part 3 of 3)

In my last blog, I reviewed basic metrics vs. logs differences. In this final blog of the series, I will dive into the comparison further and help you recognize situations when it’s better to use metrics and when logs. Let’s start with a comparative analysis of logs vs. metrics, summarized…

Read more

March 3, 2017

Metrics vs Logs Dilemma: Basic Differences (Part 2 of 3)

The purpose of a metric is to quantifiably assess the value of a desired variable over time.

Read more

February 22, 2017

Interactive Dashboards: Three ways to get instant value from cloud metrics analytics

The ability to see your data in a myriad of different ways is a cornerstone of modern monitoring, whether you are on pager duty for a thousand enterprise microservices or trying to figure out which code update caused a slow response time of your website. Wavefront’s dashboards enable the real-time…

Read more